How to Get Rid of Drug Possession Charges
Drug charges of any kind can make your life more difficult than it needs to be. You may be experiencing the negative effects of old drug charges as you seek gainful employment, housing in a safe neighborhood, and a fresh start at a life of dignity and hard work. When drug possession charges get in the way of your pursuit of happiness, it may be time to consider the possibility of expungement.
Eligibility for Expungement of Drug-Related Criminal Charges
According to the Texas Bar, you may be eligible to have drug possession expunged from your record if any of the following are true:
- You do not have actively pending drug possession charges (or other drug charges
- Your drug possession charges were no-billed by a jury
- A judge and/or jury deemed you not guilty of drug possession
- Your drug possession charges or the broader case they were a part of were thrown out due to lack of available evidence, witnesses, or apparent cause in the eyes of a judge or jury
However, just because your case was thrown out or your charges were dismissed doesn’t necessarily qualify you to have your criminal charges or your arrest record expunged. There are other circumstances which may warrant expunction, including those in which:
- Your drug possession charges (or convictions) occurred when you were a minor
- More than 5 years have passed since your felony drug possession charges (cocaine, meth)
- Your drug possession was not part of a larger criminal episode (meaning that it is not related to a larger, more serious crime such as drug trafficking, drug manufacturing, etc.)
We understand that every case is unique and requires a distinct approach. There is typically no guarantee of expunction, but a qualified, skilled criminal defense and expungement lawyer can make all the difference.
Dallas Criminal Defense & Record Expungement Lawyers
Our team at Crain Lewis Brogdon, LLP has a vested interest in protecting your future. We know that criminal charges follow you around for years after your dues have been paid, resulting in continued difficulty finding good housing and stable employment. Our firm is prepared to help you evaluate your eligibility and, if you qualify for expungement, we can help you shed your drug possession charges for good.
It’s time to get your life back. Call (214) 301-5007 or contact us to schedule your complimentary consultation today.
More Reading on Drug Crimes & Charges
Do you have more questions about drug-related crimes? We can help. The best way to get a concise, accurate answer to your questions is to reach out to our firm and speak to a member of our team. Then, check out our blog for some extra reading on important questions and drug crime-related news in Texas: