Why Do Semi-Truck Tires Sometimes Explode?
An exploding tire from a semi-truck can create an accident and even cause injury or death. When a semi-truck has a blowout, debris from the tire is thrown into adjoining roadways, creating a safety-hazard for other drivers. A blow out can also force a truck driver to lose control of their vehicle, placing nearby automobiles in immediate danger. But what causes a semi-truck’s tire to explode? Below, we explain a few of the common causes of tire blowouts.
Common Causes of Exploding Tires
- Poor Maintenance: Truck companies are required to keep a regular maintenance schedule and ensure that their trucks meet specific safety requirements. Drivers should be on the lookout for poor tire pressure, sidewall damage, air leakage, and tread wear. Failure to properly maintain a semi-truck increases the risk of a blowout.
- Over/Under-Inflation: Both over-inflated and under-inflated tires are unsafe for driving. When a tire is over-inflated, the pressure becomes too much and can lead to an exploding tire. Under-inflated tires explode when heat fills the empty space inside and causes air to expand.
- Road Hazards: Even if proper care of a semi-truck has been conducted, a blowout might still occur. Uneven pavement, potholes, and road repairs can all contribute to a tire blowout.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
Typically, there are three parties you can take action against. They are:
- The Driver: A driver that doesn’t complete necessary inspections can be held liable for injuries they cause.
- The Semi-Truck Company: Truck companies are obligated to properly train their drivers and maintain their vehicles. Failure to do so can be a sign of negligence.
- The Tire Company: If the blowout was the result of a manufacturing error, the tire company might be held liable.
In some cases, more than one of these parties might be deemed negligent.
If you or someone you love have been involved in an accident caused by a blowout, you might be entitled to compensation. At Crain Lewis Brogdon, LLP, our team of experienced lawyers is ready to assist with your legal needs.
Contact our Dallas vehicle accident attorneys, or call (214) 301-5007 to learn how we can help with your case.