Insurance Issues After a Car Accident
5 Tips for Dealing with Insurance Companies After
The actions you take immediately after a car accident can make a significant difference in whether you get the financial compensation you deserve. A wrong step with the insurance company and you may have damaged your chances for full financial recovery—or given them cause to deny your claim outright.
Get an experienced lawyer on your case as soon as possible after an injurious car, truck, or motorcycle accident. It can be the difference between struggling to pay your bills and receiving the money you need. Contact Crain Lewis Brogdon, LLP. You can speak to a Dallas car accident lawyer for free and you pay no attorney's fees unless you obtain money for your claim.
Call (214) 301-5007 or schedule a free consultation with our team online.
Do's and Don'ts of Dealing with Insurance Companies
- Don't make recorded statements. One or both car insurance companies will call and ask you for a recorded statement. Don't give one until you've talked to a lawyer. It's too easy to accidentally say things that will damage your case before an investigation has even begun.
- Don't sign any forms without consulting your attorney. You will get forms from various insurance companies and from the hospital. Before you sign any form, have a lawyer review it to ensure you are not signing away any of your rights or burdening yourself with a later unnecessary payment.
- Don't accept the insurance company's check for a totaled car until your attorney has looked at it. Once you accept the check, the insurance company owns the car and they can discard it. Your attorney will want to examine the car to learn more about how the accident occurred, including if a defective car part contributed to the accident or injuries.
- Don't rush to accept an offer. It's to the benefit of the insurance company to try to resolve your injury claim immediately, before you get a lawyer. They are trying to save money and they know that most average citizens don't understand the expenses they can be reimbursed for, or have a clue about how expensive their injury may be in the long term. Let your lawyer negotiate any offer with the insurance company. We've handled hundreds of injury cases. We know what your case is really worth and what kind of medical issues can arise later.
- DO be aware of your own Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists coverage. If you have UM/UIM coverage on your policy, you can bring a claim against your own insurance company for payment of your medical bills, but you need to give them notice that there may be a UM/UIM claim against them due to a car accident. If you don't, your insurer may later claim that they weren't properly notified.
Insurance companies look for every legal loophole to avoid paying out on claims. Our car accident lawyers have years of experience protecting the rights of injured people. You can count on us to help you get the financial compensation you need and deserve.
Contact our Dallas offices to schedule a free consultation—call (214) 301-5007 or schedule online.